So you joined the server... what do you do now?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

So you joined the server... what do you do now?

Post by Mr_Pleco on 18/10/2012, 5:57 pm

Greetings new server member!

The Smokin' Minecraft server has been running since April 2011. The aim is to create a safe, stable and fun environment for near-vanilla gameplay.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

To that extent, for the convenience of fast travel and a faster server, there's minimal plugins installed. These are the major things you should know about:

1) There's "Stargates". These are portals that lets you travel from one side of the map to the other, instantly. They are, however, expensive to build.

2) There's an area management controller called "Towny". This lets you claim and protect an area so people can't grief you. It also encourages responsible building by limiting what you can place in the wilderness. The best part, in my opinion, is that it finally lets you turn pvp in your area on and off at will, and it lets you turn hostile mob spawns off in your area so you don't have to spam torches.

3) There's "Death Chests". Similar to RS tombstones, if you have two regular chests in your inventory when you die, your items go into the chest for five minutes so they're protected from lava and similar.

4) There's "Chest Shops".
As a supplemental to the regular currency that you earn to support your town, you can sell some extra ores to the "admin shop" that's located underneath the server spawn. You can also buy hard to find items there, like mossy and cracked brick, experience bottles or end portal material.

5) There's lockable chests. Just right click a chest with a sign in your hand and it will "lock" your chest preventing other people from breaking it or accessing it in any way.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Where to Begin:

1) When you join the server, there's two commands that you'll need to run
- /kit starter This is a starter kit and emergency free stuff that you can spawn in every 20 minutes
- /jobs join default This enables currency earning for your account (more on that later)

2) Once you've joined the default job, you can earn money. You earn money doing these things:
- Killing hostile monsters
- Building with glass, stone brick and smoothstone
- Making potions
- Mining ore (coal, redstone, lapis, gold, iron and diamond)
- Selling raw ore to the admin shop under the spawn (lapis items, redstone dust, gold ore, iron ore and diamond)

You should be able to reasonably make 2k+ px per hour with basic gear and minimally focused effort. Currency is important because it will unlock special features in the future, you need it for keeping your town, and you can buy items from other players or the adminshop with it.

3) To build everything available to you, you need to be in a town area. You have a choice of either joining a friend's town or starting your own. To begin with I recommend joining a friend's town, accumulating some currency and tools, then branching out to start your own. These are your important towny commands:
- /town new *townname* This is the command to start a new town. You are required to have 50px and be at least 150 blocks from the nearest town
- /town claim This adds a new "town block" to your town. A town block is a 7x7 block area that must be connected to your home town block (where you claimed the new town). A town block respects your town settings, like pvp and monster spawning, and it prevents people from building/destroying in that area.
- /town unclaim This is the unclaims your area so you're no longer charged rent
- /town deposit You are charged 2 px per town block per day. A 70x70 area will cost you 200px every day, so you'll need to play an hour or two a week to keep up with the rent. If your rent runs out then your town is deleted, so make sure you keep depositing cash!
- /town leave You start in the default server town, so you'll need to use this command to leave the town and start your own or join another town.

4) Have fun! There's many towns and players on the server, so if nobody is online when you log in, then chill out for a while and enjoy the quiet while you play. I intend the server to be a "multiplayer singleplayer" type server, where it's optional to play with people, and where you know your time spent is safe and protected.

If you have questions or need clarification then ask on this thread or in this forum.

Enjoy!

-Mr_Pleco
-SMC_Admin

Last edited by [ADMIN] Mr_Pleco on 31/3/2013, 9:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
Mr_Pleco
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Re: So you joined the server... what do you do now?

Post by Broeder on 18/10/2012, 6:10 pm

We also have an irc channel: #smokin_minecraft.
Usually at least 1 op and several players around to chat with, ask questions, etc Smile
Broeder
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by DoYouPlay_RS on 20/12/2012, 2:21 am

I'm back. Too bad I cant get on because the server is down

winkwink
DoYouPlay_RS
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

http://www.smokinelite.com

Back to top Go down

Post by flowersftw on 20/12/2012, 2:33 am

yeah i just went to get on then and it's still down i wanted to finish making my shop lol

flowersftw
Tier 1 (Registered)
Tier 1 (Registered)

Back to top Go down

Post by AustiM on 28/12/2012, 11:51 pm

Im making a huge base when I get in Very Happy
AustiM
Tier 2 (100 posts)
Tier 2 (100 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by yddet on 22/4/2013, 10:20 pm

could someone make a full list of commands that could be used for ppl to use.
yddet
Tier 2 (100 posts)
Tier 2 (100 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael on 12/5/2013, 1:11 am

yddet wrote:could someone make a full list of commands that could be used for ppl to use.

Making one as we speak

Clicky:

(13:08:16) <@Begone13> you sir are a noob
Michael
Forum Master (1500 posts)
Forum Master (1500 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum