Possible Resources within the Graphic Section

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Possible Resources within the Graphic Section

Post by PredatorGFX on 25/1/2013, 11:26 am

If anyone remembers, I posted a thread advertising that I was distributing a very large effects pack through PM to anyone who requested it. I got advised to get it verified by an admin otherwise I could get a TWC. So I asked Pleco, and after a week or so, I got a reply late last night.

So it looks like SM could be getting its first verified graphics pack shortly. Very Happy

Also, please don't PM me requesting the graphics pack anymore. Please be patient until it's been verified.
PredatorGFX
Tier 2 (100 posts)
Tier 2 (100 posts)

Back to top Go down

Re: Possible Resources within the Graphic Section

Post by Kelly on 27/1/2013, 6:01 am

This would be nice to have, but Pleco can be hard to get in touch with at times Razz

The only thing is, I might have to put a few restrictions up, such as you must have asked permission to redistribute resources, or that they must be of your own making. Seeing as these things are made by others, we should try to respect their wishes

But this is good progress Very Happy

MY iEMZ PC CEREMONY AWARDS (2014):
~*~ iEmz PC Awards Winter 2014 ~*~

MY SM CEREMONY AWARDS (2012 TO 2014):

Kelly
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Leakee on 27/1/2013, 9:00 am

If they didn't want their stuff distributed; why would they put them in a GFX pack available for download?
Leakee
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuziHD

Back to top Go down

Post by PredatorGFX on 27/1/2013, 2:27 pm

Kelly wrote:This would be nice to have, but Pleco can be hard to get in touch with at times Razz

The only thing is, I might have to put a few restrictions up, such as you must have asked permission to redistribute resources, or that they must be of your own making. Seeing as these things are made by others, we should try to respect their wishes

That would defeat the entire point of posting resources to be made easily available. My pack contains contents that are AT LEAST 3 years old. How many of the distributors do you think are still checking the sites/threads/videos where they distributed these resources on a regular basis? Then there's language issues. Yesterday I decided to look up a name that keeps popping up on my very best light textures. It turns out he is Saudi Arabian. So I wouldn't even be able to communicate with him.

When you combine this with searching for the distributor, getting in contact with them for POSSIBLE permission, downloading their pack, getting in touch with an admin, uploading the pack for the admin to verify, and then finally releasing it on here, it becomes an entirely tedious task which I personally wouldn't be willing to do.

PredatorGFX
Tier 2 (100 posts)
Tier 2 (100 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Broeder on 27/1/2013, 3:11 pm

Leakee wrote:If they didn't want their stuff distributed; why would they put them in a GFX pack available for download?

They want their stuff to be distributed on their terms, maybe keep it exclusive or ask for recognition on every piece that uses their resources. Its their right to set up their own terms, and you shouldnt disregard that
Broeder
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Kelly on 27/1/2013, 4:06 pm

PredatorGFX wrote:
Kelly wrote:This would be nice to have, but Pleco can be hard to get in touch with at times Razz

That would defeat the entire point of posting resources to be made easily available. My pack contains contents that are AT LEAST 3 years old. How many of the distributors do you think are still checking the sites/threads/videos where they distributed these resources on a regular basis? Then there's language issues. Yesterday I decided to look up a name that keeps popping up on my very best light textures. It turns out he is Saudi Arabian. So I wouldn't even be able to communicate with him.

When you combine this with searching for the distributor, getting in contact with them for POSSIBLE permission, downloading their pack, getting in touch with an admin, uploading the pack for the admin to verify, and then finally releasing it on here, it becomes an entirely tedious task which I personally wouldn't be willing to do.

As Broeder said, it's their own stuff and it would be mean to take things without their permission. If you can get into contact with them, then that's great. If not, I guess the alternative is to try to link back to them–even their name would work just fine. Perhaps just mention that the resources are very old and you have no way of contacting for permission, so you're doing the second best thing.

Bare in mind these resources were brought to you, said person(s) did not have to do this for you, but they decided it would be nice, at least respecting what they ask in their thread, or file, or wherever they ask you to link back to them/ask permission upon uploading elsewhere, is a nice thing to do Smile

Kelly
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by PredatorGFX on 27/1/2013, 8:00 pm

I'm really sorry Kelly, but if these are the terms, I'm not willing to share any the the resources. The whole reason I was doing this was so new designers didn't have to download a single image at a time. But reverse image searching every single resource file, and then clicking dozens of site pages in hopes of finding the original source is even more tedious than downloading a single image/pack at a time.

Resources like these are widely distributed. When you upload an image like this to the internet, it becomes public consumption. If you're creating a resource, you know it's going to be distributed by users that aren't the author of the image. That's why many of them will place their name/logo/mark somewhere in the image.

If we actually had to give credit to every author we collected a resource off, we'd have entire movie length credits for a single tag.

PredatorGFX
Tier 2 (100 posts)
Tier 2 (100 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Kelly on 27/1/2013, 8:15 pm

PredatorGFX wrote:I'm really sorry Kelly, but if these are the terms, I'm not willing to share any the the resources. The whole reason I was doing this was so new designers didn't have to download a single image at a time. But reverse image searching every single resource file, and then clicking dozens of site pages in hopes of finding the original source is even more tedious than downloading a single image/pack at a time.

Resources like these are widely distributed. When you upload an image like this to the internet, it becomes public consumption. If you're creating a resource, you know it's going to be distributed by users that aren't the author of the image. That's why many of them will place their name/logo/mark somewhere in the image.

If we actually had to give credit to every author we collected a resource off, we'd have entire movie length credits for a single tag.

Yes, when you upload an image on the internet it is public consumption. However, say you created a signature, would you want everyone to redistribute it? To essentially take credit for it? No, I doubt you would, as you were the one that took the time and effort to make it. It is the same with resources. As I said, if finding the original creator(s) is not possible, at least try to give them credit or mention that it is not your creation Smile If you did not create, but redistribute it and don't mention that, then it's just like someone stealing artwork that you created.

Perhaps I wasn't clear originally when explaining and I apologize if that's the case, but you do not have to go back and find exactly whom you obtain the resources from, but at least mentioning that you, PredatorGFX from Smokin Mils, did not create them and you obtained the resources from elsewhere, you are basically doing the very best possible thing you can do, under the circumstances of not knowing exactly whom the resources were created by or distributed from

Basically, give as much credit as you can to the original distributors/creators. No one likes people stealing their stuff Razz

Kelly
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top