Getting started on the forums

Go down

Getting started on the forums

Post by Divine on 8/8/2013, 9:13 am

Welcome to SM, Guest!

We understand that there may be an overwhelming amount of information for you when you first join.
So to help you on your way, I've put together this topic for you.
You can always reach this topic again through the link in your inbox. (At the top of the forums, next to the logout button)

Below in the spoilers, I've explained about some of the main stuff. You can open them and read what you want to know more about.
You'll find anything else that isn't covered here by going around the forums yourself.

If you have any questions, you can always post them below and we'll answer you as soon as possible.
Enjoy your time in SM and we'll see you around! Smile

What is SM?:

SM stands for Smokin Mils, a clan community of over 4 years old now, founded by Mr J Rune. ([ADMIN] Mr J)
We started out as a merchanting clan on RuneScape. We did grand item buyouts in the Grand Exchange, to drive the price up together.
Everyone could profit afterwards through junk trading their stock away before it would crash back down in value.
We were RuneScape famous and even got Jagex to interfere with one of our buyouts at one point, they manually forced the price of our item at the time (Prayer potions) down, as they thought us merchants had too much influence on the game.

When Free Trade was released again, merchanting the way we knew it no longer worked.
It became more effective and profitable to merchant on your own, so we went from merchanting together to teaching people.
This Mentoring system is still very popular up until today and countless people have graduated from it and learned to make their own money.

Over 2 years ago, dicing came into play and Smokin Mils started a dicing part of the clan.
This was built on our good reputation and using the wealth, people and resources we had acquired over the years before that.
It was a difficult task as there were many dicing clans, and despite dice bags getting removed from the game, we continued providing dicing through IRC.

Nowadays, we're a gaming community with a focus on RuneScape and a focus on online moneymaking.
We have broader interests and not all our forum members still play RuneScape, there is enough to do for everyone.
What do we stand for?:

You may have read about who we are, but this is what we stand for.
These values below are our road to success and we keep them in mind for the decisions we make.
They represent who we are, what we find important, what we stand for.

Passion: Define yourself through your actions, choose your own path.
Enjoyment: Build friendships, have fun and enjoy your stay!
Reliability: Maintain a safe and trustworthy environment.
Family spirit: Be friendly, helpful and accepting towards everyone.
Experience: Teach and learn, give and take, grow as a person.
Commitment: Dedication and loyalty, adapt to survive.
Thoroughness: Thoroughly and professionally getting things done.
Advancing or becoming known in our community:

With so many members on our forums, how do you make yourself stand out?

A good start is writing up your own introduction which is what new people usually do.
You can use the template in the stickied topic, it's a great way to tell us about yourself and to meet the first people. Smile

You may have noticed the shiny badges a lot of our members have.
If you're interested in getting any, you can read about them in our badge index.

At this point you may also be interested in reputation points to build up your reputation. You can read how to get them here.

The Rank+ part of the community is a tighter group of people, they are our heart and keep us going.
They have a higher reputation, their own private subforums and a large say in our decision making for the future.
It may sound like a distant thing for now, but in the future you might find yourself among us, you can already read about it here.
Do you want to learn how to merchant?:

I explained a bit of our history above. Like I said there we still provide the free service of teaching you how to merchant, through our Mentoring system. You should read the stickied topics there for more information.

Alternatively you can also check our wide range of Merchanting guides.

If you have specific questions or discussion topics regarding anything merchanting related, you can always ask them in the Merchanting discussion subforum.

There are also alternative methods to make money in our community.
You'll find out more about these through being active on the forums.
Getting more involved:

The easiest way to get more involved with us is by joining our IRC channel #smokinmils. There are people to talk to 24/7 Smile
You can read more about it in this Guide about IRC.

If you'd like to go to some of the events we host to get to know us better, you should check out this topic.
We have multiple events every week and they are a great way to get to know and have fun with other community members.

Another way to get more involved is through our Social Media.
Currently we're only active on Facebook. There are future plans to expand to other platforms once we consider ourselves ready. Smile
The forum rules:

Last but not least I'd like to quickly mention the forum rules here.
To keep a forum community of this size running, we need some Forum rules to keep things in order.
I highly suggest you to read them to keep yourself out of unnecessary trouble.
When in doubt about something you can always ask a Rank+.

Last edited by [ADMIN] Divine on 19/10/2013, 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Divine
Administrator
Administrator

http://merchz.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Getting started on the forums

Post by Wackmack5 on 18/8/2013, 1:01 pm

Wow I just made a guide on all of this yesterday and now I noticed that this exists...
Wackmack5
Tier 2 (100 posts)
Tier 2 (100 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Divine on 18/8/2013, 1:38 pm

Wackmack5 wrote:Wow I just made a guide on all of this yesterday and now I noticed that this exists...
I'm sorry to hear that Sad Is there anything you would add/change/remove in here?
I really wanted to stick with the basic stuff as overloading them with too much again would have the same effect again.

I do appreciate your efforts to want to make the forums a nicer place Smile
In the future it's best to check with the search option if a similar guide to what you have in mind is already around.
Divine
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Wackmack5 on 18/8/2013, 2:18 pm

Well mine is more about getting involved in SM so there a lot of differences. These both just cover some of the same topics in different ways. I can't really see anything that could be changed or added to make this better. Solid job Divine.
Wackmack5
Tier 2 (100 posts)
Tier 2 (100 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Divine on 19/8/2013, 8:54 am

Thanks for your feedback Wackmack.
Goodluck in the mentoring system btw Smile
Divine
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by mdw1995 on 8/10/2013, 1:22 am

im kind of confused about something. I want to be a fliiping mentee buy im not sure how the whole irc thing works or what im suppose to do to get all that set up. could you explain that please?

mdw1995
Tier 1 (Registered)
Tier 1 (Registered)

Back to top Go down

Post by Gummy on 8/10/2013, 3:40 am

mdw1995 wrote:im kind of confused about something. I want to be a fliiping mentee buy im not sure how the whole irc thing works or what im suppose to do to get all that set up. could you explain that please?
You seem to have figured this out and have already been accepted as a General Flipping mentee. I look forward to your progress in the group.
Gummy
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by quynhpham2011 on 19/12/2014, 2:26 pm

im kind of confused about something. I want to be a fliiping mentee buy im not sure how the whole irc thing works or what im suppose to do to get all that set up. could you explain that please?

quynhpham2011
Tier 1 (Registered)
Tier 1 (Registered)

Back to top Go down

Post by Yamiteh on 19/12/2014, 8:23 pm

quynhpham2011 wrote:im kind of confused about something. I want to be a fliiping mentee buy im not sure how the whole irc thing works or what im suppose to do to get all that set up. could you explain that please?

Read this http://www.smokinelite.com/t73664-guide-to-getting-on-irc
Or just click here http://irc.lc/swiftirc/flipping-mentors/YOUR_RS_USERNAME

You can then apply here: http://www.smokinelite.com/t71867-apply-to-be-a-general-flipping-eoc-mentee-here
Yamiteh
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

http://www.smokinelite.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum