Hello Everyone!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hello Everyone!

Post by Dez on 29/10/2014, 12:51 am

Hey everyone!  Here is my introduction:

What led you to Smokin Mils?
A little less than a year ago I wanted to try merchanting so I sold my two h'ween masks and some items and started to buy and sell.  Over the past year I've been wanting to find others who share the same interest, so a couple Google searches led me here.

What do you hope to achieve while in Smokin Mils?
I hope while in Smokin Mils I can make some friends, become a better merchant, and most of all since I am ambitious I would truly like to offer something to the clan.  I have very much enjoyed this past year merchanting so much that I have applied my skills as a professional accountant through preparing financial statements and accompanying transaction reports for my investments and I would be delighted if I could assist others in professionally presenting their hard work merchanting just like any company/professional organization would do.

Have you ever been a member of a clan before?
Never. I will need to read up more about norms regarding clans.

Do you currently know anybody in Smokin Mils?
Unfortunately no, but I hope to make some friends.

On a scale of 1-10, i) how interested are you in merchanting and ii) if you're interested, how experienced do you feel in it?
Honestly 10.  I love checking GEC and looking at graphs.  It reminds me of real-life financial markets. Though when work calls my 100% effort can not always be there.  I feel experienced at about a level 6.5. In the first three months of merchanting, I made 80M through simply buying thing I believed would go up in price, and holding onto them for a few days to a week. After those 3 months, then school came around, i got busy, and the rest of the year I held on to investments way too long... But reading the GE graphs is similar in many respects to real exchange graphs - I just need to learn more of the things specific to RS.

Do you have any short term and/or long term goals here?
As mentioned above, I hope I can bring something to the clan.  Becoming a better merchant and learning the ways of the best in the business is also in long-term vision.  

What do you do in your spare time?
Physically, I play soccer; digitally, I read a lot of financial news and I am also studying - so reading books.

If other members wanted to contact you, what would be the preferred method? (IRC, pm, etc)
I like personal messages; I really hope to feel welcomed! I certainly will sign up for IRC too.

Is there anything you'd like to add?
A couple questions:
- When reporting profit logs (gains on disposition), are the screenshots necessary? I'd assume this is for validation purposes.  
- Also, would I be eligible for a badge if I provided my spreadsheets, or must I have been a member (and the screenshots)?
- Lastly, does the profit made not factor in any losses incurred? I see people have badges but investments often go sour even for the most experienced.

I hope to hear back!!! This looks like a great community I hope to be apart of.

Thank so much,

Dez

Dez
Tier 1 (Registered)
Tier 1 (Registered)

Back to top Go down

Re: Hello Everyone!

Post by Phileep on 29/10/2014, 1:24 am

Welcome. It's always great to hear from someone interested in the merchanting side of things. I'll take a moment to answer your questions here, numbering them from 1 to 3 (I'd quote you but it would take up a lot of room Razz ).

1) Screenshots are necessary if you want to post a log here, yes. We're not really cynical but if you want to get the profit badges and such you'll need a little evidence at least Smile

2) If you have picture evidence of the flips taking place that would be fine. You needn't have been a member of the Clan at the time. (Well in fact you needn't be a clan member at all, really. I'm not one).

3) Correct, we don't factor in losses incurred. If you want to look at it from a correctness standpoint a lot of us do smaller flips/investments that we don't bother posting because we felt that they were insignificant to post... so those could potentially cancel out any loses we don't post. The more honest reason, though, is that mistakes should be judged by their makers more privately I guess? And besides who wants to post losses? That's so negative Wink.

Though you didn't exactly ask this I'll say that a lot of us here aren't actually investors and a lot of us just flip, i.e. seek to profit bid-ask spread on items (more like the function of stockbrokers than stock traders, I suppose). Investing would likely be a lot more popular if the market were more complex like the real stock market, i.e. if things like shorting or options would come into existence people could seek to profit when an item drops in value or does not change in value, as opposed to the current state of affairs that one can only profit when an item's value goes up. But, that said, a lot of people do invest around here... and I hope you settle in nicely.

Phileep
Tier 3 (300 posts)
Tier 3 (300 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by [ADMIN] Adrijana on 29/10/2014, 1:35 am

Welcome!! Glad to see another future Mentee coming in Smile I'm going thru the system myself atm because we do have an amazing team to learn from.

[ADMIN] Adrijana
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Dez on 29/10/2014, 3:55 am

Thank you for the reply. I was using the term investing in its general sense (purchase an investment, sell and investment), but now I now investing usually connotes long-term purchases. I guess I must learn the ways of flipping Smile I will read some guides and soon become a mentee!

Dez
Tier 1 (Registered)
Tier 1 (Registered)

Back to top Go down

Post by piramatrix on 29/10/2014, 5:56 am

welcome to the forums buddy, hope you enjoy your stay here and hope you gain a lot of merchanting knowledge

piramatrix
Forum Master (1500 posts)
Forum Master (1500 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Rockeye on 29/10/2014, 7:39 am

You've came to the right place to develop your merchanting skills.
Welcome Smile
Mr Rockeye
Tier 4 (500 posts)
Tier 4 (500 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Bobs Burgers on 31/10/2014, 11:22 pm

SM has always been one of the best places for merchanters to come and share their knowledge. You picked the right place.
Bobs Burgers
Tier 1 (Registered)
Tier 1 (Registered)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum